As all of you know beauty comes from the inside. There's nothing more important than being healthy. You don't have to be on a diet for life but eating healthy food will make you look better and live longer. But we know it takes more than just this, don’t we? There are some tricks you should know to make your skin look younger, flawless, healthier. In another post I wrote about Atelier Room B and its founder, Sandra Almeida. She teaches makeup classes and gives workshops. She has great experience in this business and has worked for important makeup companies and in fashion weeks around the world. So who better than her to give us some tips about how to have a healthy skin and look even better? I asked her some questions and here are her answers.
1. What are the basics for keeping your skin healthy?
Healthy, well cared for skin immediately makes you look younger.
People often still believe that for youthful and energetic skin you need to spend a lot of money and a lot of time in the morning. But the crisis had led brands to invest in the quality of their products and to make them easier to use, and these days you even can find very good products at the local supermarket.
The first step is to know what your skin type is.
The second step is to work out how much time you have in the morning for your skincare and make-up routine.
The third step is to use your products every day, morning and night without fail!
You don’t need a lot of products, but there are a few essentials to your skincare routine:
- Remove your make-up and clean your skin every morning and every night.
- Apply eye cream morning and night.
- Moisturise your face morning and night.
- Exfoliate once a week.
2. Is it important to use that right products for our skin type? Why?
It’s very important, because every skin type has specific needs and the right products will meet those needs.
3. How can we find out our skin type?
The best way is to go to a beauty counter in a department or specialist store. If you live in Lisbon, you could try El Corte Ingles because it has specialists for every brand.
Even so, it’s often difficult to get exactly the service we want, so you could also have your skin analysed at the Atelier. Make an appointment and you will leave with accurate information about your skin type and a list of the right products for you.
4. There are people who only use a daily exfoliant and a moisturising cream. Is this enough or is it also important to have a full facial from time to time?
Cleaning your skin will not solve all its problems if you don’t combine it with daily maintenance, but it is also important to have a full facial twice a year. I always recommend you do this at the end of the winter and then again at the end of the summer.
Clarins is highly recommended, as are El Corte Ingles in Lisbon or Gaia. They are good value for money and the products and service are excellent too!
5. Make-up. Basic products and essentials. The ‘must haves’ for any woman.
The basic products for ideal make-up depend on your individual style, but I always like to recommend the basic of basics that always look good with any outfit and eye or hair colour.
This is your everyday survival kit:
- Foundation, concealer and powder, because smooth and flawless skin will make any colour pop.
- A palate of neutral colours in tones of brown to honey
- Bronzing powder for blush
- Neutral or coloured lip moisturiser
- A natural colour lipstick